Thursday, January 20, 2011

Shrooms and Garlic rice - Chinese style

I made 2 different kinds of this rice, first one I Indianized by mixing in some garlic podi from Grand sweets and snacks. This tasted good, but I think the second was an even bigger winner and deserves a place on this blog - Another healthy recipe with very little oil...so here goes

Ingredients
About 10-12 good sized shrooms (white ones)
Green spring onions - three stems
Garlic cloves- 4-5 crushed
4-6 green chillies (this can be adjusted according to tolerance levels
the juice of 1 medium sized tomato - strained
1 cup of basmati or jasmine rice
1 tsp of olive oil

Preparation
Cook the rice separately and keep warm
Dice and grind the tomato and strain the juice from the pulp
Finely mince the mushrooms, green chillies and spring onions
In  big pan, heat the tsp of oil, crush the garlic directly into it and add the veggies
Sautee for a couple of minutes before adding some salt and I used a dash of  seasoning herbs (I got a schezwan seasoning spice from Fab India on my recent visit) but any other asian seasoning will do just as well
You want to put just a dash literally!
Add the tomato juice and let it simmer for a minute
Break up the rice so it is nice and fluffy.
Add to the sauce and let it cook
The tomato juice will get quickly absorbed by the rice and will look moist but dry
Allow it to cook for a minute or so longer, stirring so it does not get burnt at the bottom

Serve hot with spring rolls on the side or enjoy as is...
Don't forget the key ingredient - Love - to make it and serve it
 The shrooms, onions and chillies vut and ready to go
 the tomato puree
  The crushed garlic sauteeing in the pan
                       The veggies saute
                    The final product

12 comments:

  1. this sounds tangy and juicy..going to try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious rice Priya, looks soo tempting..

    Regarding blogging marathon, Do send a mail or leave a comment to Srivalli for further details dear..here is srivalli's space.

    http://spicingyourlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats absolutely lovely flavors.. Truly tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious...Such a tempting platter you have there...win win combo of garlic n mushrooms!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious and yummy rice, loved your version and also adding tomato juice sounds interesting,will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog! It's great getting to know more people with the same interests.

    I love your blog! And love this recipe! I'll be making it soon. Thank you for posting it.

    I looked at other recipes you've posted and I'm wondering where I find some of the Indian ingredients. Can you help? I'd really like to make some of your dishes. They all sound so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for dropping by... You do have an awesome space here...
    Love this rice...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy fried rice... and I am sorry, I am not accepting the previous posts for my event.. you may have to come up with a new recipe to participate... sorry about that..

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Rice luks so tempting and sure its a one pot meal..

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a good one---have the ingredients ready- i think this is what my daughter's gonna have for dinner !

    ReplyDelete