Saturday, January 15, 2011

Baingan Ka Burta - North Indian Eggplant preparation

I was all set to make ChakaraPongal and kootu, but we heard news of my husband's aunt's passing - so all festivities came to a grinding halt - So I decided to keep it simple - do I overuse that word or what! The awesome thing I learned during my visit to India was to make good phulkas - Just by watching mind you! So I made some phulkas (which I will blog next) and a side dish of Baingan ka burta.

I find the toasting of the Italian eggplant over open fire messy and here in the US you have to clean the mess yourself - So my I changed my approach just a tad, but did not compromise on the taste - that is a strict NO NO!

Here is how I went about it
In Words
Ingredients

1 Italian Eggplant (big) peeled
1 big red onion cut in slivers
2 Tomatoes (big round ones)
3small green chillies slivered

Spices
1 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tsp of sambar powder (more or less is optional)

Preparation

Peel and cut the eggplant into small cubes and cook in microwave for about 5 minutes on high heat
Cut the tomatoes in cubes and the onions into long slivers
Get the pan ready on the stove with a little bit of oil to splutter the cumin seeds.
Add the turmeric powder and 1 tsp of sambar powder and the green chillies
Add the tomatoes first and let them cook until its waters has evaporated
Add the onions and dribble some oil on it and allow this to cook and brown
Remove the cooked eggplant from the microwave and mash it with a masher
Add to the onions and tomaotes and add the last bit of oil and sambar powder and let them all cook for a few more minutes until it turns a happy golden brown
Garnish with crushed cilantro and serve with phulkas (chappatis)

In Pictures


 Saute the tomatoes
 Add the onions
 mash the cooked eggplant
 mix together and cook
On your plate with soft phulkas :))

Serve Hot and with abundance of Love!

4 comments:

  1. delicious and perfect combo...can I have that plate?...very tempting clicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav too.I microwave the whole eggplant and then peel the skin,mush it up and use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally inviting and loved its combo with phulkas! pass the plate-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this dish tonight. It was delicious, my family loved it! Great recipe, thank you Priya!

    ReplyDelete