Friday, December 10, 2010

My 50th recipe is ....(And More Awards)

# 50 -Badam/Kaju Vadais or Almond-Cashew Falafals
Thanks to all of your support, I have hit a first milestone :-)
Two of my great blogger friends, Nithu and Priya won First and Second place in November contest of Manjula's kitchen and I am super happy for them. When I was at Manjula ben's website, I saw her Dec contest posted - Should I or should I not - try? I was racking my brain to come up with a badam or kaju recipe (since we don't normally cook much with pista or walnut for that matter-which is a salad/pie ingredient) I Googled and scoured some recipes online but they were all mostly sweet! I knew she was calling for desserts but I decided that this was not going to be one -I will come up with another for the event and save this recipe for another nutty event :-) -  And it is about 4pm by now, mind you and I had a salty snack on my mind! I decided to get innovative - or go rogue, Palin style (no-never- just kidding) We all know how deliciously tasty both almonds and cashews are and no matter what you do, you cannot go too wrong...

So I plunged headlong with the hope that I could turn out a bloggable recipe - When my son pronounced them "REEEALLLY good", I felt confident enough to go for it ... I did not want a run-of-the-mill recipe for the 50th - To come up with something somewhat unique was a thrill.

Ingredients

1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup of raw cashews
1/4 cup of besan/kadalamavu - chickpea flour
2 teaspoons of rice flour
1/2 med. onion
4 green chillies
1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder (grated ginger will work fine too)
Oil to fry
                                                powdered mix
                                              add the lightly fried onions and knead
                                               Get the vadais ready
                                                 Fried and served
                                                Another take :-)
Preparation

First, in a blender, powder the almonds and cashews to a gravel consistency
In a bowl, dry mix the nut powders and the flours -
(there will be a few nuts which are half ground - which is fine add to texture)
In a teaspoon of oil, lightly fry the onions
Add to the mix along with the green chillies
Add about 1 teaspoon of oil to the mix and knead
Last, add about 1 teaspoon of warm water and knead
Make balls and keep ready
Fry and serve HOT

Got this COOL Award from Akhila - Thanks a lot dear :-) Enjoyed participating!


Another AWESOME award, I did not realize I had got until today Thank ou Priya (BonAppetit)


15 comments:

  1. congratulations on ur 50 th post and fantastic idea of using cashews in vadai....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally new recipe.

    Congratulations for the 50th post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation dear on your 50th post. May you reach many many heights and those falfalfels are a great way to celebrate. Bookmarking your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Priya on your 50th post!Our kids are the best judges.Keep rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your 50th post and nice vadas for celebration..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats really a rich and yummy snacks, congrats on ur 50th post dear..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the milestone.. Wish u many more to come.. These snack balls are looking very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your 50th post and wish you many more to come. Nice and yummy vadas

    ReplyDelete
  9. K Murali Iyer congrats! and best of luck for further innovations!
    who are the lucky ones who get to eat all of this?
    my mouth is watering...
    am really envious of the Civilians!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...very innovative and delicious recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the lovely comments dear. You have a wonderful blog and I like the 'about me' too:) congrats and those balls are very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your 50th ..super recipe,bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi dear,
    hearty congratulations on your first milestone--- your recipes rock, they r uniquely presented with loads of passion--- keep stirring n sharing !

    ReplyDelete