Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Potatoes in Peanut & Onion gravy (Urulai Thiratal)




Let me start by saying this is was a runaway hit with my family. We are blog hopping for Avant Garde Cookies and I was delighted that my first hop in this category was to my blogger bestie, Priya Sreeram's  blog, Bon Appetite - First thing that struck me as i keep flipping web pages is - How did I miss this? My sweet friend is so -- because she is a dessert junkie! She has cakes, and brownies, and all kinds of delicious bakes and scattered in between are her savory/spicy dishes... I loved browsing and rereading some of her wonderfully written posts.

I had made a peanut and onion chutney not too long ago which was a super hit too and I thought, hmm, the potato monsters I have in my son, hubby and daughters would love this.  But for adding a few of my favorite tastes, I stayed pretty true to my soul sister's recipe and we enjoyed this to the last lick with chappatis- Thanks PS for enriching my repertoire with this fab dish. And to really confess, I am not big on potatoes at ll - clearly prefer sweet potatoes to the regular kinds and even I loved it

Off to the recipe now

Ingredients
  • 8-10 medium sized red potatoes
  • 1/2 can of diced tomatoes (or 1 big beef tomato)
  • 1 huge red onion (or 2 medium sized ones)
  • 1/2 cup of roasted peanuts (without husk)
  • 4-5 of your spicy-est red chilies
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • A pinch of asafetida
  • 2 tsp of olive or other oil
  • Curry leaves, mustard seeds for tempering
Method
  1. Boil Potatoes in pressure cooker or steamer
  2. Peel, cube and keep.
  3. In a kadai or deep pan,(nonstick to save on oil) add oil and heat
  4. Throw in the asafetida, red chilies and sauté
  5. Roughly chop the onions, and peanuts since they are to ground anyway
  6. Let it tenderize
  7. Add the tomatoes
  8. Cook until the water is evaporated
  9. Cool, grind and set aside




  1. In the pan now add 1 tsp of oil and temper the mustards and the curry leaves. 
  2. Add the cubed potatoes and some turmeric (optional)
  3. Add some salt and cook for a few minutes until the potatoes absorb the salt - I also used 1tsp of rasam powder (you can use curry powder)  and cook for a minute longer
  4. Now add the onion and peanut paste and let it simmer along with the potatoes



Transfer into a serving dish and go hung-ho at it with chapatis/naan/pooris or even rice


Enjoy this recipe until the next time I am coming back with some Jams and Tangerine Marmalade - so stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment