Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sabudana Khichdi - A Maharastrian staple sensation :)


This is one dish I have had several times at my sister's home in Pune and loved. I have been told that tapioca is a high calorie grain and if not done in a proper manner, this khichdi could be an oil guzzler - I have had a couple of sticky gooey efforts in the past simply because I refused to use the oil, but I'll be darned if I did not do it my way and yet make a hit of it - recently had it at someone's place who happened to be from Maharastra and I asked her and she led me to none other than Divya of Chef in You fame - I checked it out and the realized the two Key things to do to make this are
1) you must use the big sabudana for this dish and 2) you must soak in water just covering the top of the tapioca overnight or for a minimum of  5-8 hours

Garnish, spices, herbs etc are changeable and up to personal preferences. But peanuts are a must :)
It turned out spectacularly and I am happy that this ghost will rest, conquered - booyah!

Serving size -4-5
Ingredients

  • 1.5 cups Sabudana (tapioca) soaked overnight in water barely covering the pearls
  • 1/2 cup crushed peanuts
  • 1 med. onion
  • 1/2 cup grated coconut
  • 3 spicy green chilies
  • 1 tsp grated ginger
  • curry leaves
  • 1tsp of olive/sunflower/corn oil

For tempering

  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp urad dal
  • a pinch of asafetida

For garnish

  • Finely chopped cilantro

Method

  1. Loosen the soaked tapioca pearls to separate
  2. In a pan, sautee the urad cumin and asafetida followed up with the onions, ginger and green chilies
  3. When they are getting caramelized, add the sabudana and stir in -you will notice them getting translucent from being solid white
  4. Add salt at this point and mix well 
  5. Follow up with the crushed peanuts
  6. In a small pan, lightly dry roast the grated coconut to get rid of the rawness
  7. Add finally to the Khichdi and mix well
  8. Remove from flame 
  9. Garnish with cilantro
  10. Serve HOT














NOTE Common additions to this khichdi are finely cubed and roasted potatoes. You can be as creative as you want with your veggie additions. I plan to be the next time around

Enjoy folks until the next time, signing off with love.




No comments:

Post a Comment